FRANKENSTEIN

01/19/2019

FRANKENSTEIN


I read Frankenstein years ago, but never got to finish it. I think I read the translation version and it got kind of confusing and boring that I stopped reading. Now that I read the English version, it's actually pretty fun and more clear to me. 

I enjoyed reading Frankenstein. I like how Mary tells the story using the perspective of three different characters. I've always loved reading from different perspectives as it gives me more sympathy for the characters. The beginning part that tells the story of Walton through letters felt kind of long, but it gave me a good sense of what kind of person he was and what's important for him. Once I finished that part, it got more fun and interesting. 

Hearing the history of Victor Frankenstein’s family, his childhood, and understanding his passion was a good set up. It pays off well when I got to the ending where he died. I feel sad for him that he has to experience losing his family and friends because of his creation. The fact that he abandoned his family and friends in his hometown (no letters or visit to the family while he was at school) to pursue his passion and create this creature that ended up killing all that was dear to him is ironic.

From the creature’s point of view, it was a really sad tale. His part of the story shows how much appearance matters and that the heart sometimes doesn’t matter. Or how much a heart can change because of one traumatic experience. The creature has an innocent heart at first, but the feeling of betrayal from his only “friends” turns him into a monster. He became what the people believed just from seeing his physical appearance.

Overall, I like the story and the message in it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WEEK 12: Diverse Position Science Fiction

BLOODCHILD - 15 April 2019