Week 5: WITCHES


WITCHES


For this week, I read “Akata Witch”. I think it’s really interesting. It’s my first time reading a novel that brings an African culture and package it with the fun adventurous magical experience.

“Akata Witch” does follow the formula of typical Young Adult novel, though. For me personally, the same formula kind of tires me a bit, but it is still a fun read. It is so similar to Harry Potter. I don’t know if that’s a good thing. I’m a fan of Harry Potter and I appreciate the elements of Harry Potter in Akata Witch, but I guess I wish it can be more different than that. The Leopard and The Lamb concept is basically the Witch and Muggle system. The fact the Sunny is an unwanted child in the house is so much like Harry in Dursley’s family. The knife and the wand. The Leopard Knocks and the Diagon Alley… and of course the magic school. Oh, and soccer and Quidditch too.

I do like the issue that the novel brought. The belief in some societies that son is preferred compared to daughter is a disheartening fact that needs to be changed. And the issue about being a minority and how people these days can still be racist…The writer did a good job bringing up issues from the real world into the story. This part is definitely more successful than Harry Potter. An albino African American is a really interesting main character. Overall, I like Sunny as the main character. Maybe a bit more than Harry. She is a strong character for sure.

"Akata Witch" is a pretty fun read but I don't think I'll continue reading the whole series...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FRANKENSTEIN

WEEK 12: Diverse Position Science Fiction

BLOODCHILD - 15 April 2019