Week 9: SPACE OPERA

Week  9: SPACE OPERA

For this week, I read Vintage Season. To be honest, sci-fi and space stories are not really my cup of tea. So, reaching this topic for this class doesn't really excite me. When I looked at the reading resources, I skimmed through some of them and decided on which one I wanted to read based on the writing style. Vintage Season seemed okay for me. So I gave it a shot.

Vintage Season has an interesting beginning. "Three people come up the walk to the old mansion on a perfect May morning" sounds like something that  I would read in any other genres. "Okay, that sounds interesting", I thought. As I continued reading, I found myself feeling curious about these three people. The story itself felt really slow. I don't really like the main character, but my curiosity about these three characters kept me going. Until half of the reading, it still doesn't feel like a sci-fi and more like a mystery story. So that's good for me. Relation between Oliver and Kelph is fine, I guess. Personally, I don't like it that much since Oliver was already engaged to Sue. The relation between Oliver and Kelph was a big thing in the story, though. So that didn't help me liking the story.

For the ending, it was pretty interesting when I found out that the three people were time travelers. The rules about them not supposed to change the future is also interesting. I like it that it makes it seems that they left Oliver to stay and die there in the ending so that he wouldn't change the future. Time traveling is one of sci-fi genre that I still like because it makes me think. This one is not the best time traveling story I've ever read, but still pretty interesting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FRANKENSTEIN

BLOODCHILD - 15 April 2019

WEEK 12: Diverse Position Science Fiction