WEEK 10: THE FICTION OF IDEAS

WEEK 10: THE FICTION OF IDEAS

Earlier last week, I said that I don't really like Science Fiction. This week is special because even though I don't really like science fiction, I like Ursula K. Le Guin's work. At least one of her other series. I really enjoyed "The Earthsea Cycle", so seeing her name for this week makes me excited. That's why I choose The Left Hand of Darkness.

The Left Hand of Darkness was so fun to read. The overall feeling I got was like reading a fantasy novel, even though it's a science fiction. The problem I got was the confusing terms that were thrown to me right away when I started reading. It took some time and re-read to understand them. But, the novel itself is so rich of description and it was really fun to imagine this new world. Maybe that's why it feels like reading a fantasy world.

My favorite part is when the main character, Genly, visits the fortune tellers. That arc/chapter can stand alone and it would still be interesting. It made me think more about deeper meaning behind it..? Like what's the point of knowing the future if it made you afraid, and that's what made the future happen at the first place? The introduction to that part, with the guy who got depressed because the answer wasn't specific and killed his partner and then killed himself after, thus fulfilling the prophecy... it blew my mind and puzzled me. So if he never visited the fortune tellers at the first place, what would happen? Would he still die on the 19th?

Character wise, I love Estraven. His sense of patriotism is really cool. He is the type of mentor character that I've always love too! Everything he did has a reason and the reveal was satisfying.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading The Left Hand of Darkness and I would like to read the whole series in the future

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FRANKENSTEIN

BLOODCHILD - 15 April 2019

WEEK 12: Diverse Position Science Fiction