Week 14: Science Fiction and Satire

Week 14: Science Fiction and Satire

For this week, I read the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (I didn't listen to it because I always get distracted if I have to listen to something for a long time). Reading the title, I imagined it to be an adventure story in the space. That didn't really excite me... So, I googled what this story is about and I found that the title really is the mirror of the story. First of all, since sci-fi is not my favorite genre, that alone would be something that can stop me from reading something. And then the sound of the title that makes it sound like an adventure comedy. I like adventure, and I also like comedy, but those three combined.... not really. The type of sci-fi that I would still like to read are the serious one I think, like if it's a movie, it would be Interstellar (I don't even watch Guardians of Galaxy...)

This is my thought on what I have read so far:

I do find some parts that I like. I like some of the interesting quotes, like "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." I thought it's kind of funny. I like the silly jokes at the beginning, when Mr. Prosser for some reason followed what he is told to do and just roll with it. I thought it's kind of weird, but at least I smile when I read it. There are some unnecessarily long description sometime, but maybe it feels long just because I'm getting impatient (the towel description).

And then as I continue reading, I thought it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I think they have an interesting take on "the end of the world" and how people react to it. I have to confess, I couldn't finish this on time. I'll probably pick it up again during summer break since it does open up pretty interestingly. I deeply apologize...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FRANKENSTEIN

BLOODCHILD - 15 April 2019

WEEK 12: Diverse Position Science Fiction